Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11, Five Years Later...

Today, we mark the five year anniversary of September 11, 2001. Five years later, the events of that fateful day still break my heart, bring tears to my eyes and a renewed sense of loving the greatest Country in the World, the USA. Of all of the emotions I experience when looking back, being an American, I can honestly say, fear was never one of them. Anger, yes, most definitely, fear never. Sounds strange to some, but in my heart of hearts, I know the men & women that protect this Country, from the first responders, to the best military in the world, are doing their jobs and will continue to do so. They all are to be commended, thanked and a prayer for their continued safety should be said.

Whatever side of the political fence you stand on, 9/11 is an American tragedy, from the ashes, many a hero has arisen. I guess that's why I find the GOP golf fundraiser being held today such a pathetic, skin crawling gesture. If this little outing where being held in honor of those that lost their lives or even in honor of those that fight today in Iraq & Afghanistan to protect their freedom to be so callous, maybe at least my skin wouldn't crawl. Mike Warner and the GOP must really be falling on hard times, tapping into their line of credit with Sterling Bank for campaigns and debts (ELEC report July 16/06) and using 9/11 as anything other than a day of remembrance, is just too much.

Col. Warner, as a respected and decorated military man, should donate today's proceeds to those from Burlington County that lost their lives on 9/11 and those that continue to fight for his and the GOP's right to hold a golf outing, on what I consider to be a sacred day in American history. The Burl. Co. GOP should give back to those that have lost their lives fighting for us all, that lived in Burlington County. Now that would be a true testament of what used to be, the Grand Old Party.

No comments: